UNC-TV is proud to contribute to the educational needs within our community. Our behind-the-scenes media tours, open to schools and community organizations, are structured in a way that will offer an in-depth, informative and interactive experience! Groups will have the opportunity to tour our production facilities and gain a better understanding of the work we do as a statewide public media entity.
Tour Group Size
The minimum number of students required for tours is 10 and the maximum number is 20. If your group is larger than 20, we suggest that you divide the group and either stagger the tour times (i.e. first group from 10 am - 11 am and the second group from 11 am - 12 pm, depending on the tour level you select) or choose two separate days.
We offer behind-the-scenes media tours Monday – Thursday from 9:30am to 2:30pm. Please note, no tours are scheduled before 9:30am or after 2:30pm. We do not offer tours on weekends or holidays.
There will be several opportunities during the tour to take photos and we encourage you to do so! Please bring your own camera/phone if you would like to take advantage of this opportunity. If you plan to post photos from your behind-the-scenes experience, please tag us @unctv.
TOUR LEVEL DESCRIPTIONS
SILVER Tour 1-Hour ($10.00 per student)
Studio welcome / Meet and greet with Kids & Education team staff members
Tour that includes stops in the following areas:
- Light Board Room
- Control Room
- Green Room
- Goodman Studio
- Studio B (TV show sets and green screen)
Photo op in the main lobby in front of UNC-TV sign / Daniel Tiger Trolley
GOLD Tour - 1 Hour ($15.00 per student)
Silver level PLUS…
Tour stops and demos in the following areas:
- Light boardroom demo (students write their names on board/photo op in front of board)
- Control Room
- Goodman Studio - students will watch a couple of short age-appropriate videos on projector screen followed by Q & A with Kids & Education staff member
- Studio B – Show and tell in front of several television show sets
- Green screen demo
PLATINUM Tour – 1.5 ($20.00 per student)
Gold tour PLUS…
· Mock taping – several students will be assigned roles as camera operators, floor manager, director, assistant director & on-camera talent.
- UNC-TV Kids Instagram story post featuring entire group
- Presentation by UNC-TV staff member from one of the following departments, followed by a brief Q & A:
Graphic Design & Animation
Production (videographer, director, etc…)
UNC-TV is proud to showcase many hours of independently produced content across our multiple platforms, including UNC-TV, UNC-EX, Rootle (24 Kids Channel), the North Carolina Channel, unctv.org, and other digital media outlets. We are excited to work with the creative and passionate independent producers and filmmakers from across North Carolina and our region.
Below you will find our online application, including a place to post your work sample and digitally agree to our submission release form. The information you provide will help us review your program or proposal.
UNC-TV receives many more submissions and proposals than we could possibly use across our platforms. However best efforts will be made to respond to all inquiries within six weeks of the submission date.
Please note that UNC-TV does not currently have dedicated funding for the production of independent projects, or the staff capacity to help you raise funds. Resources UNC-TV can offer include:
- in-kind production and post-production services
- letters of support
- broadcast or streaming on our platforms
- lifestyle (travel, food, how to, entertainment)
- public affairs
- advocacy programs
- commercial or promotional programs
- religious programs
We look forward to reviewing your materials.